Tag Archives: remodel

We Got Keys!

Posted on by .

The house is officially ours! We sold our last home in 2006 so we feel like brand new home owners. We went into the house for the first time on our own to really evaluate what needed to be done. We already had a plan on what we wanted to do, but it’s hard to really know the scope of work without punching a few holes in the wall. We had a small toolbox there, but none of the stuff we will really needed for the job. All of us took a turn punching holes in a wall, which by the way, is a fantastic feeling. We pulled up carpet and pulled up a bit of the kitchen linoleum. Here is where we stand.

The walls were built with a plaster board. At first I was confused, because it was covered in paper like drywall, and was in sheets like drywall, but was clearly not gypsum. I did some research and found that in the 60’s they came out with a product that would allow people to plaster their walls in sheets. Drywall had become more popular during WWII, but plaster was still considered primo. These sheets were like drywall, but filled with plaster. So today it feels more like concrete than drywall, but you can still easily punch a hole through the wall and tear it off. Conclusion: no problem to demo, but may take a little more time than standard gypsum board.

The carpet in the extra room, which I will call the suite from now on, came off pretty easily. Boy was it dirty under the pad. Years of dust sifting down through the carpet and pad. Underneath is a fantastic pine plank floor. There is some glue residue from the carpet, but no big deal. The majority of this wood will be lifted out for use on other projects. We will then tile the bathroom portion. Conclusion: as expected.

The carpet in the master bedroom was a different story. Under the current carpet we found the original carpet. It was worn threadbare, but still sticking hard to the pine floors. It was glued down and has a rubber like backing which does not want to come up. We researched and found a product called Sentinel 747 that we are going to try. Conclusion: this is going to take a long time and will be hard labor.

The linoleum in the kitchen is not glued down as thoroughly as it could be, which is good, but it is still a pain like any linoleum. Underneath is a 3/8″ plywood sub floor. Under that is the pine floor we are reaching for. We don’t know yet if they just screwed the plywood down or also glued it. We bought a heat gun to help soften the linoleum as we take it off. Hopefully the plywood isn’t glued. I would love to be able to lift the pieces whole so I can use them to patch the chicken coop and dog house. The condition of the pine remains to be seen. Conclusion: As expected, labor intensive work. Still some unknowns.

The chimney stack rises through what will become the washroom. It is currently covered in plaster and we want to expose the brick. Whoever plastered it did it right, steel mesh and all. Break out the pneumatic chisel. Conclusion: with the right tools, it shouldn’t be too bad. Hopefully the brick is in good shape.

After completing the evaluation, we took the next day to plan and make a list of things we needed. So last night was a Home Depot night instead of a work night. But tonight starts the real demolition. May our hammers swing freely! #DemoDay

The Current Layout

Posted on by .

Right now the north side of the house, on the main floor, features the master bedroom and another room, which they advertised as a bedroom. It doesn’t have a closet, so technically it’s not a bedroom. The current owners placed a little wardrobe in it to count as the closet. The master bedroom has a long shallow closet with sliding glass doors on the east wall, which abuts up to the extra room. We considered using the extra room as a dining room, but that just didn’t work. And with the weird bathroom layout I spoke about in my last post, we decided to open a door through the east wall and turn the room into a master closet and master bath.

Here is the master bedroom facing the closet

And here is the room facing northeast

So now the problem is having a bathroom for guests. We don’t want everyone walking through our closet to get to our bathroom. We also don’t want people to have to go down to the basement. So if we knock down some walls and resize some things, we have figured out a way to create a small washroom and still have room for the master suite. I’ll talk about how I did the layout in my next post.

Back to the Drawing Board

Posted on by .

We did the final walk through of the house today and I took some additional measurements. My original plan for master suite project is not going to work. I forgot to measure the windows the first time through and the window is not centered in the room like I assumed it was. That’s what I get for assuming! That cuts into the closet way too much.

The window on the back wall is also a problem. It’s bigger than I thought and in my original plan it was going to be in the shower. It’s still possible but way too risky dealing with water. So I am going back to the drawing board to reconfigure everything.

My plan for the washroom and master toilet are still intact at least. The current bathroom has a really weird diagonal sink and jog to the right to get to the bath. The chimney runs up through the bathroom on one side. So I will rework everything and come up with a new plan. Wish me luck!

Here is he current weird bathroom.